Wednesday 4 April 2018

Creamy Vegan Rosemary Risotto

Risottos never fail - it's creamy and comforting and is SO worth the 40 minutes of stirring. Not to mention that it's inexpensive which is always a bonus, right? People might ask - but parmesan! And butter?! But trust me, you don't need it... true story!

Creamy Vegan Rosemary Risotto
(Serves 3-4 people)


Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large carrot (optional), finely chopped
1 litre vegetable stock (I used three cubes of Knorr vegetable stock)
2 tbsp cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar, or 1/2 glass white wine)
1 cup arborio rice (or other risotto rice)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 + 1/2 sprig rosemary, 1 whole and 1/2 finely chopped
Salt and pepper
60g vegan spread,such as Pure

- Start by heating the oil in a large pot, and saute the onion for about five minutes, before adding the garlic cloves - cook for a further couple of minutes.

- Add the carrot, and the rice and stir for a couple of minutes, add another glug of oil if necessary.

- Then add a ladleful of the stock the cider vinegar, garlic and onion, add the full sprig of rosemary. Keep stirring and feeding the risotto more stock as it gets drier - once you feel it is close to done (about 35 minutes in, but taste to check earlier), take out the rosemary sprig, and add the chopped rosemary, add the last ladleful of stock and the vegan spread to fluff it up! Season to taste with salt and pepper.

And there you have it! Delicious, simple food, that just asks for a little bit of attention!

What is your favourite type of risotto? Mine varies depending on the day, and it depends what types of vegetables I have or crave, but usually I always use a lot of garlic - because yum!

How has your week been?
I have been working, and managed to fit in two badminton sessions! Yesterday I'm being an adult and waiting for a new washing machine being installed, but come Friday - I have a girls' night with a good friend of mine, and the rest of the week I'll improvise!

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Can you believe I have never made risotto???
    I miss playing badminton. I have no time anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have cooked a billion things that I haven’t cooked or baked though 😋 there is a first for everything! Risotto is delicious - just gotta keep stirring it 👌 how long did you play badminton for?
      I played for about six years in Norway and then I took it up again last year; twelve years later 😋 x

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of making risotto vegan, it sounds delicious, especially with the rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline!
      The traditional risotto used to be a staple in our household, but when I went vegan, I wanted to show that although you omit all the things that makes it creamy - it can still be absolutely delightful! The little bit of spread at the end fluffs up the rice super nicely! I hope you give it a try :) x

      Delete