Tuesday 6 March 2018

Anka's Vegan Cherry, Lemon and Poppyseed Bonanza Cupcakes

Hello hello!

Today I finally got around to make the recipe for these cupcakes that an old colleague and friend sent me a little while back. I was out adventuring, getting a few bits and bobs done and out of the way and thought to myself - I need a treat!

I tweaked the recipe a little bit, and I also asked if it was OK if I shared these with you; and it was - score!

They don't have too much sugar in them, so they are TOTALLY OK to have for breakfast... just sayin' *wink*

Anka's Vegan Cherry, Lemon and Poppyseed Bonanza Cupcakes
(Makes about 12 cupcakes)

I put the buttercream in the fridge to chill, but it seemed to just lump up a little bit - it still tasted great! I suppose it is just due to using vegan spread :)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup plain or self-raising flour (If using self-raising, cut the amount of bicarbonate of soda in half)
1 1/2 cup poppyseeds, that's right! Three of those jars you get in the spice aisle!
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (or half)
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup of sugar (I used a mixture of demerara and coconut sugar)
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 1/2 lemon
400g can of pitted cherries in light syrup, cut into halves (save the syrup!)
Use 1/3 cup of the cherry syrup (You can use the rest in a cherrylicious smoothie!)
1 banana, mashed
2 tbsp neutral oil, like sunflower oil

For the buttercream
1/2 cup vegan spread (I used Pure)
1 cup icing sugar
A few drops of colouring, optional (Make sure it is flavourless)

- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.

-Start by making the batter: In a bowl, have the flour, poppyseeds, bicarb, baking powder, and sugar - and mix well.

- In a small bowl, mix the juice of the lemon, the syrup, 2 tbsp oil, and the mashed banana along with the lemon zest.

- Make a well in the middle of your flour and poppyseed mixture, and pour the liquid in, stir well to combine and then fold in the halved cherries.

- Divide mixture between about 12 medium sized cupcake cases, it should be filled up 3/4 of the way. Pop them on a tray and place them in the middle of the oven to bake for 25 minutes.

- Allow to cool before making the buttercream, spread it neatly over the cupcakes and enjoy!

So many poppyseeeeeeeeds <3

I also enjoyed them just as much without the frosting, making them perfect to serve for breakfast with a cuppa, or as a little treat in your lunch box!

Do you enjoy poppyseeds in baking? I'd love to hear from you!

Today I started doing some homework at MIDNIGHT.... But I got it done eventually, and we are handing some floristry tasks in tomorrow, so it was about time I got it done, phew! I hope you have had a good start to the week!

PS. I know a couple of bloggers have told me that my posts aren't showing up in their reading list, and that it isn't allowing them to comment. You could try and delete and re-add me to your reading list, and then try and see if that works - let me know if it doesn't and I'll try and see if there is something else that needs to be done!

xox Jules

2 comments:

  1. These cupcakes look amazing! Now all I need to find is pitted cherries in syrup. It is rare here for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are so different from any cupcakes I have made, and yet they were everything I craved today!
      You could use fresh cherries, pit them, and sub the light syrup for either cherry, cranberry or red grape juice :) Also, sometimes you can find frozen pitted cherries, just defrost them overnight! I hope this helps :) x

      Delete