Tuesday 27 February 2018

Falafel Dreams

...yes! Because I do not have a count of how many falafels I have eaten in my life!

Kev and I used to joke/point out when we first met, that no matter where our conversation went... I would at least mention falafel once... But it's so tasty! And versatile too, if you make it yourself.

So, after going over to a vegan diet this year (from vegetarian, so not a huge leap), I thought "but how am I going to make my falafels now?" cause I used to add an egg and a few handfuls of oats, but it turns out - if you are gentle - you can make them without!

Vegan Falafel
(Serves about 2-3...but usually just one if you are me...oops)


Ingredients
1 tbsp neutral oil,like sunflower
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp Garam Masala
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp ground coriander (or a handful fresh, finely chopped)
400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed

Pita bread + whatever else you liked! In the picture I served it with hummus and red pepper paste - yum!


- Start by frying the onion for five minutes on medium heat, then add garlic and continue stirring for a few minutes. Add the spices, fry until fragrant (about a minute), then tip in your chickpeas. Heat through, and then turn off the heat. Mash thoroughly until it is sort of grainy and sort of pasty, basically the consistency that gives you the confidence that tells you "Hey! I can shape that!"

- Transfer the mixture into a large bowl. Wash your frying pan, and then start again by having a little oil in the pan. Shape walnut sized balls, and tip into the frying pan. Make sure you have an order so you know which ones to turn when! Fry a few minutes all over, until they are the way you like them! If you want to make them quite firm, you could also bake them.

- Serve on toasted pita with hummus, salad, pepper paste or whatever else you like! That's the beauty of it! :D


What is your favourite falafel recipe? I'd love to give it a go! One can never get to many falafel recipes... That's my motto!

Also, at the end of last year/beginning of this year - Glasgow got it's very own Purrple Cat Cafe! I went there yesterday to say hello to some feline critters... Here are a few of my favourites (Also - great selection of vegan and other cakes, and their coffee is deeeeeeeelicious!)




I think I will leave it with that cuteness fresh in mind! I have also been working towards a less plastic-filled every day and have been doing some DIY home products that I might share with you in the near future - is that something you might like to read about?
Today however, I went to Lush and got me some lovely things - sometimes you are allowed to be a little lazy and leave it to the professionals!

I hope you are having a lovely week so far!

xox J

No comments:

Post a Comment