Saturday 6 June 2015

Très Bien Banana Crumble

Now, at one of my good friends' parties, after a fair few drinks (too many), the conversation lead to talk of food - Jill had made some fantastic chocolatey muffins with green frosting, and then... then a Frenchman brought - banana crumble! I insisted, despite not having any paper at hand, that I needed the recipe for the crumble, and so it was a snuck a piece of a packet of icing sugar, and I got it my way... *sneaky look*

It is simple, yet delicious, with a perfectly golden crust. I made it myself for my new flatmate's flatwarming a little while back, and as I was told "It's got bananas in it, potassium is great for hangovers!"... Any excuse right?

Anyway, come rain or shine, bananas is one of the staple foods I need to have in my house, otherwise...things just don't seem right, they are perfect to grab on the go, if you don't have time in the morning it is a better option than to skip breakfast (...it must be said I always make time for breaky though, but often have it as part of the meal), and now I have been proven: It is perfect in crumbles!

Make sure to get bananas that are well ripe, sweet and potentially the pattern of a yellow and brown giraffe-dalmatian, y'know? Aye, those ones!

Très Bien Banana Crumble
(Serves 6-8)


250g butter at room temperature (I used Flora light)
400g flour
200g oats
250g brown sugar
10 bananas
Caramel (optional, I skipped this)

- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.

- Start by making the crumble, in a bowl, mix the butter, flour, oats and sugar until you have "some biscuit scramble" to quote my friend. Set aside.

- Now, mash the bananas, and if you are using caramel, now is the time to use it to coat the bananas. Layer this in the base of an oven proof dish. Then, drizzle over the crumble to coat all across the top.

- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 40-60 minutes until golden and crisp. Serve warm on it's own, or with some icecream, whipped cream, or just cream-cream on the side. Enjoy!


This was the recipe I had to decipher, it was written after a few drinks, and the piece of cardboard was pretty small!

Want more banana inspiration? Just hit the search bar, and plenty of more sweet (and some savoury!) recipes will pop up *smiles*

I just started my holiday today, and am pretty excited about it! A friend of mine is coming over from the States, and so I'll be a tourist in my "own" country. Today, a friend and I went to Meadow Road for coffee, followed by a little trip to the charity shop where we made some pretty good bargains! OH! And one of the plants that I planted last weekend has started sprouting - exciting ^ ^

Tonight I'll be meeting up with a few old colleagues of mine, so that'll be nice, just making a batch of granola at the moment and the whole flat smells of coconut and cinnamon, mmmmm! What have you got on the agenda for your weekend?


Original source:
Nino (merci!)

- Jules

8 comments:

  1. Så koselig med besök helt fra USA! Kos dere masse, og nyt ferien <3
    Så spennende dette ser og høres ut. Husker da storesøster hadde vært et år på high school i USA for årevis siden, så lærte hun å lage en slags "bananpudding". Husker jeg og hele familien syntes det både var kjempegodt, litt ekkelt, uendelig kvalmende, og avhengighetsdannende :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, gleder meg kjempemasse! Skal plukke han opp på flyplassen i morgen tidlig :D
      Haha, banan pudding faktisk? Kanskje hun kan finne frem oppskriften igjen, lurer på hva det var for noe :P Husker første gang jeg smakte Banoffee Pie, det er faktisk godt, så lenge en ikke har altfor mye krem, vedder på at en vegansk versjon hadde vært helt nydelig :) x

      Delete
  2. Yes! Potassium! That reminds me of one of my favorite gifs: https://33.media.tumblr.com/d3e3c9ab6dbf1b2d1b33a2bcdfa1062d/tumblr_mz997cT4Se1snx33ho1_400.gif

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duuuuuddee!! I NEED to make this in mug cake form! Also, I did not know that about bananas and hangovers. I'll take that excuse!
    And now you are making me want to make granola during the weekend. That might be next on my agenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I'd love to see your take on it :D Granola is always good to make, hardly any effort at all :) I hope you're having an awesome weekend Cathleen ;) x

      Delete
  4. Så digg :) Synes bananen har fått et ufortjent dårlig rykte etter "lavkarbobølgen". Den er jo så anvendelig og god :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takk! Bananer er en av de tingene du kunne overleve lengst på, nettopp fordi de er så fulle av gode næringsstoffer og sunt fett, for ikke og snakke om potassium :) Har jeg ikke bananer og egg i hus, så blir jeg faktisk litt stresset, haha :P x

      Delete