Wednesday 5 November 2014

Easy Spiced Banana Kakemix Cake

HA! Try and say that lots of times and fast, quite the tongue-twister, eh?

It has been quite a long day - I was covering in the kitchen today, and I got to make lots of delicious things, and prepare meals for customers. But now I am beat! It's Bonfire Night here in Glasgow, and so now - with my feet up - I see the occasional fireworks outside my window, it's so nice!

But onto something completely different, but that sort of applies whenever you have had a long day and want to take a little shortcut (I am sure fellow Norwegian will have heard of this.....).


Kakemix.... I know there are quite a few fellow Norwegians who drop by this blog regularly, and I really appreciate that. Many of you might have bought the infamous "kakemix", and today, I though I would give you a lovely and super easy recipe that you can use it for. The cake base is sugarfree, but I decided to make the icing with real icing sugar instead of sukrin icing sugar. This cake bakes really fast, and within 35 minutes, your cake will be ready!

Easy Spiced Banana Kakemix Cake
(Makes 1 cake which is about 18cm in diameter)


125-150g kakemix
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cardamom
A pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp coconut oil (or sunflower oil)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk of choice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 banana, mashed

For the frosting:
1/2 cup icing sugar
Juice of 1/3-1/2 lime

- Pre-heat the oven to 180-200°C.

-Have all the dry ingredients in a bowl, stir well to combine before making a well in the middle. Pour in the oil, vanilla extract, eggs, milk and banana and mix well.

- Pour the batter into an 18-20 cm cake tin or mould, and place in the middle of the oven - bake for approximately 30 minutes. Leave to cool for about 15 minutes before preparing the frosting. Squeeze the juice of 1/3 of a lime and mix well, the icing should be quite thick, but still be able to drizzle. Add an extra squeeze of lime if it is too thick.

- Drizzle over the cake and serve! This went down a treat with my friends, and myself... The lime frosting goes amazingly well with the lovely, sweet cake. I hope you enjoy it too! The whole cake was out of sight before I got the chance to take a picture of an actual slice, but I suppose that's a good sign if anything!

Have you ever used kakemix before? Aaaaand will you celebrate Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes'?


Recipe by yours truly,

- Jules

8 comments:

  1. Definitely a tongue twister, but for a fabulous recipe!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Despite the base being sugar-free you would never have guessed it. This was actually part of my dinner that day ^ ^

      Delete
  2. Hei hei Julie :)
    Så smart å på en måte lage en hjemmelaget kake av ferdig kjøpt kakemiks. Kan tenke meg at gir et mye mer smakfult resultat er hvis man bare blander inn vann og olje... :)
    Håper du har hatt en fin helg. Her er det 'back to reality' etter en fantastisk helg i Oslo♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, har laget ting av Kakemix før uten olje, og den ble ikke fullt så saftig da, men denne her var knakende god altså, hadde både to og tre stykker ^ ^
      Denne var lett og slenge sammen før besøk, er jo ingenting som varm bakst ut av ovnen :)
      Sååå kjekt med enda en helg i Oslo da, du vet og kose deg :) Jeg har nettopp hatt to dager fri, men i dag er det tilbake til sjokolade verksted og cafê :) Håper du har en finfin dag, koselig og høre fra deg igjen Ragnhild! x

      Delete
  3. So what would I use if I wanted to make Kake-cake ;) Sounds funny, doesn't it. Because I love all the ingredients in your recipe I'm just not quite sure what ingredients are in the mix! I'm always down for an easy recipe and you have used all of my favorite spices! It looks like the kind of cake I would eat for breakfast - yum!!

    Bon Fire Night sounds fantastic! I should introduce this around here. I miss European traditions... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought you'd ask! *Dives into the world of Googling*

      So the kakemix is just a healthier version of the dry ingredients in a cake base, it has fat-redused almond flour, cornflour, potato flour, erythritol and sucralose as the sweetner, fibre from sikori and psyllium husk, peaprotein, raising agent (bicarbonate and difosfate), salt, emulgator (mono- and diglycerides), lemon acid and aroma. So basically anything else under the sun that is gluten-free and naturally sugar free, but you could use a grain free base of choice instead, I am sure you have a few up your sleeve!

      S'never too late to get your childhood traditions back up and running, just look them up in your calendar and have a little party with the traditional foods, and maybe some games? I bet your friends would be up for that, and it's a nice way to show the people some of the things they do in other parts of the world :) x

      Delete
  4. Cool - thanks for the list of ingredients!! I actually have a "flavor of the month" grain free (AND nut free) mix I use - I will try this instead! I guess I have to add some baking soda to it, looks like that's part of the mix. I'm a not much of a baker (don't know if you have noticed -- most of my stuff is no-bake) so keep your fingers crossed for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome! The mixture you have sounds great! If it has a natural sweetener added, you can like you said just add some baking soda and you can use the rest of the ingredients above, let me know how it goes *types this with her fingers crossed, struggling slightly as she is doing so* All the best! x

      Delete