Tuesday 4 February 2014

Pesto & Tomato Poached Egg

Originally, this was a little simpler, served up neatly in big juicy tomatoes. I however, had some chopped tomatoed that had to be used, and so I decided to make this almost like a breakfast risotto, and it was great! So simple, but comforting, perfect for a rainy morning...

Pesto & Tomato Poached Egg
(Serves 1, about 270 calories)

Good morning, Glasgow!

30g dry (or 1/2 cooked) brown rice, I used my trusty 10-minute one
200ml chopped tomatoes from a can
1 tbsp green basil pesto
Salt and pepper
1 egg
Fresh basil leaves, torn (optional)

- If you're using dry rice, start cooking it up now. I did it in the same pan that I prepared the rest of the dish, since there wasn't much, but it fluffed up nicely!

- Once cooked, add your chopped tomatoes and pesto along with a little salt and pepper. Leave to simmer for about 5 minutes. Now, if the mixture looks a little dry, add a splash of water for the last interval so you don't end up with a burnt pan of...well...burnt thing, hehe.

- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and crack the egg into it. Cook for about 5 minutes. If it hasn't quite cooked through, place a lid on top of the pan and this will help it doing so, I had to do that for the last 45 seconds-minute. I like it in the way where it's juuust cooked enough but you still get the runny yolk, so good!

Once the egg is cooked to your liking, it's ready to serve! I took no chances, and served it straight out of the pan, just remember to use wooden cutlery if you do, so you don't damage the frying pan.




Original recipe:
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6347/baked+egg+in+tomato

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment