Sunday 8 December 2013

Spanish Omelette

Sometimes the simplest of ingredients can go a long way, eggs and potatoes? It can make a great meal if you whip up a Spanish omelette like the one below! It takes a bit of time, but it's tasty, filling, healthy and you most likely have all the ingredients already!

Spanish Omelette
(Serves 2 as a snack or 1 as a main meal, about 285-570 calories)

Look how beautifully layered it is!

250g potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
2 eggs
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
Salt to taste

- Heat the one tablespoon of oil in a small non-stick frying pan. Add your potatoes and cook on a fairly high heat for about ten minutes. Stirring every now and then to keep them from catching the pan, or char.

- Once the edges of some of the potato slices turn a light golden colour, add the onion and salt, not too much! Turn down the heat slightly and soften for another ten minutes until most of the potato slices are golden and have all gone a little soft.

- In a small baking bowl, beat the eggs lightly, before adding the potato mix and stir a little. Wash the pan quickly, before heating up the remaining teaspoon of oil and pour in the mix. It doesn't matter if the eggs have curdled a little, it will more easily cook through and set.

- Once it's more or less set, slide the omelette onto a plate or a flat lid, and turn the omelette, cooking it for another couple of minutes on the topside. And you're good to go!


It tasted lovely on it's own, but if you prefer your dish with a bit of a kick to it, you can use a bit of sweet chilli sauce, or maybe even barbecue sauce! I had the second half with a bit of sriracha sauce and some roast pepper, and it worked really well!

And also, a happy 8th December! I cannot believe how quickly the last week and a bit has flown by!


The other day, I found licorice powder in a Scandinavian shop called Tiger. I thought it was going to be slightly sweet in flavour, but I happened to be O so wrong! It was super salty!


So when I made my Marzipan Marbles and rolled 1/4 of them in the licorice.... I discovered that it wasn't very nice. I will have to find some other use for it, and use it IN something rather that rolling anything it in. BUT I did enjoy the rest of the marbles big time! I actually thought that since they had raw eggwhite in them, I could try and bake them! So I pre-heated the oven to 180ÂșC, and put them in for about 7-10 minutes, and it worked really well! So if you're a little weary of eating raw egg white, this might be an alternative for you :)


I made smaller marbles this time, and got 16 in total! I left four plain, rolled four in chopped up almonds, four with licorice (at the very back there) and mixed in a little cocoa powder for the remaining four - delicious!

I hope you have had a lovely weekend so far - still a bit to go! And only two weeks until I go back to Norway to visit my family, I cannot wait!



Original source:
Friste Vegetariske Oppskrifter, p. 62

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment