Tuesday 27 August 2013

Warm & Sweet Plantain Milk

It was only last year I discovered the plantain, a larger version of the banana, and often the skin was brown or almost blackened, a sign that the plantains were ripe. It was only the other day, that I got to use it for the first time. I struggled a little bit with peeling it, but I got there eventually!

Now this was meant as a soup, but I reckon the recipe turned out a little too watery to be called a soup, and so I decided to put it up as a drink, as that's the way I served it up - in a cup!
I might make some adjustments to this recipe, for a thicker and more soupy version, adding an additional plantain, and using almond milk instead, I think that might work...Hopefully I'll find out!
In the meantime, here you have it - a warm cup of comfort packed full of goodness and easy to make! Perhaps snuggle up with this instead of a cup of tea in the evening?

Warm & Sweet Plantain Milk
(Serves 2, about 200 calories each)


1 plantain
500ml skimmed milk
500ml water
1 tbsp agave syrup
1 tbsp plain flour (optional)

- Start by heating the milk in a pan, peel and cut the plantain in chunks before having them in the pot along with the agave syrup. Once warm, use a stick blender and mix until you have a smooth liquid.

- Add the water and flour and stir until it is free of lumps. Taste and see if it needs a little more syrup, before serving warm, in bowls or in cups!

Oh, and I thought I would treat myself the other day, drawing a bath and popping in one of these little bad boys:


A Dragon's Egg from Lush! It dissolved like a mixture of foam and popping candy, and even though I normally go for the more fruity products of theirs, usually with a bit of zing, this one smelt too good to not get!

Ever cooked with plantains before? Or got any favourite Lush products?


Original source:
Friske Vegetariske Oppskrifter Basert på Salgssuksessen "Frisk av Mat", p. 168

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment