Thursday, 8 August 2013

Chicken, Bean & Ginger Pilaf

A brilliant dish for when you want something tasty thrown together in about half an hour! Originally they'd used edamame/soy beans, but I used the leftover kidney- and borlotti beans from the chili the other day, which added a bit more colour to the dish *smiles*

Chicken, Bean & Ginger Pilaf
(Serves 3, about 505 calories each)


1 small tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
Thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
500g chicken breasts, bite-size pieces
100g wholemeal brown rice (the 10 minute type)
600 ml vegetable stock (I think I used a little more)
175g soy/edamame beans, or other leftover beans that need used

Greek yogurt to serve (optional)

- Start by heating up oil in a medium sized pan, then add your onions - and soften for a few minutes before adding chilin and ginger. Let the aromas blend for a minute or two, before adding the chicken. Stir on medium heat for about 5 minutes.

- Pour in stock, and rice and turn down to a simmer. Cover and let it cook until the rice is done, season to taste before serving.

If you want, you can top this with a dollop of Greek yogurt if you want, but mine turned out a little too brothy for that!

Also, the other day I went with some good friends to this little gem in the middle of Glasgow called Tchai Ovna - house of tea. It had been a while since I had last been, and I don't understand what took me so long, because it really is one of my favourite places! I had a lovely cherry blossom oolong, and some nibbles that my friends got, as they also have a lovely selection of homely vegetarian dishes! Mmmmm

On the way out, I couldn't help myself, and so I got two tins of tea to take with me - Rooibos and Matê IQ. The Matê IQ is noticeably more fruity than your normal herb packed Matê, but it's still really healthy, not to mention tasty, love it!


Original souce:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1840665/chicken-edamame-and-ginger-pilaf

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment