Tuesday 18 June 2013

Gingerbread Pancakes

So I came across this "gingerbread" oat porridge recipe on one of my favourite blogs that I follow, and I had one of those lightbulb moments "Ding!" I decided to take the task into my own hands and make some lovely spiced gingerbread pancakes!
OK, so gingerbread might usually belong to the jolly time of the year that is December, but you know what? I really enjoyed getting my christmas-spice fix today, in June! You can make it more Summery I suppose, but adding a little dab of cream, some fresh fruit!

First, I tried to make a little dash of nice cinnamon butter, buuuut I preferred it just with a little honey drizzled on top of it along with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon - delicious!

Don't be intimidated by the ingredients, it's all those Wintery spices that you usually don't know what to do with the rest of the year. It doesn't matter if you don't have all of them, the cinnamon, black pepper and at least one of the other spices will do, but I recommend using all of them, and perhaps an extra pinch of each too! It almost tasted like creamy yogi yogi chai tea, mmmm! I made them this morning first, and then I improved the recipe tonight, I can't think of anything else i would do differently with them. Maybe you can give it your own little twist?

Gingerbread Pancakes
(Serves 1, about 180 calories)


1 tbsp wholemeal flour
1 tbsp vanilla protein powder
1 tsp cinnamon (or a tablespoon!)
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/3 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp psyllium husk (optional)
1 egg white
1 tbsp agave syrup
3 tbsp hazelnut milk (or other milk)
1/3 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
About 100 ml water

- Start by mixing all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

- Make a well in the middle and pour in the egg white, syrup, milk, extract and water and mix until the batter is free of lumps. Let it sit for about five minutes before you start frying them.

- Heat a small non-stick frying pan on medium low heat, and pour two tablespoons' worth of the batter in and spread out in a nice round shape. Cook for a few minutes on each side, flip once you see bubbles surfacing, and the edges are cooked. You should get about 3-5 small pancakes from this mix!


Pacman eating ALL the cloves!

- Serve with a little bit of honey or syrup and maybe some extra cinnamon or a drizzle of icing sugar for decoration!


I also tried to make a "gingerbread" bear, but I failed miserably...You can't say I didn' try though! Sorry bear

By now, I think I actually have made this four times already! Addicted? Me? Naaaaah, definitely not! *winks*


Source of inspiration:
http://vilblifrisk.blogg.no/1353707598_desember_pepperkakegr.html

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment