Thursday 16 May 2013

Beany Burgers with Basil Tzatziki

Apparently I was to only add half the breadcrumbs to the mix and then coat the burgers with the remainings crumbs, instead - I added the whole lot, which made no difference at all if you ask me. Also, the patties were meant to be chilled in the fridge for half an hour before going in the pan...oops I missed that step too, but you know what? It didn't matter, as these lovely patties turned out really well!

Beany Burgers with Basil Tzatziki
(Serves 2, about 425 - includes tzatziki, not bread)



25 g pinenuts
175 g berlotti beans (300 g tin)
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 big tbsp red pesto or sundried tomato paste
40 g breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried thyme
1 egg
1 tbsp sunflower oil for frying

Tzatziki with basil to serve, along with good bread, potato wedges, side salad or whatever you desire!

I got some normal tzatziki and swirled plenty of finely chopped basil through, served the burgers on some wholemeal mini sub-rolls and made some sweet potato wedges, I also had some spinach leaves on the side with a bit of the remaining tzatziki and a splash of soy sauce, deeelicious!

- Lightly dry roast the pine nuts in a large frying pan (use the same as you'll fry the burgers in later).

- Have the berlotti beans in a bowl and mash them, before adding the pine nuts, onion, pesto and the breadcrumbs, thyme and egg. Season to taste with a little salt and pepper, maybe some smoked paprika? Mix it all well.

- Shape four patties with wet hands. Heat the oil in the frying pan and fry the burger patties on medium heat for a 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked.

Serve up with warm bread and some basil tzatziki! Or simply with a side salad as a light snack. I also had a dash of barbeque sauce on them for a tiny bit of a kick!

On another note, I read a blog post about steaming vegetables the Asian style here:
http://www.101cookbooks.com/ and it really got me inspired, so what did I end up doing on my lunch break? I went and bought a two-part bamboo steamer of course! On my way through the little Glaswegian China Town, I also bought a sushi mat and some nori sheets, so I miiiight be trying to make some home made sushi in the not so distant future. If you don't see it on my blog though, you will know I failed. Fingers crossed it'll have a happy ending, I couldn't bear the thought of wasted sushi material. Saying that, I would probably make a sushi salad with the "failed" project and enjoy it all the same, it just wouldn't look as nice, hehe!



Original source:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2535/

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment