Wednesday 3 October 2012

Foul Mudammes

Not long ago, I decided to try and make some different foods, and I came across lots of different dishes. One that caught my eye, was an Egyptian dish that was named Fooll Mudammes. Now, I know there are loads of ways of spelling it, but I decided to use the spelling that they use in an Egyptian restaurant I'll mention below...

I tweaked the recipe a little bit, adding garlic and some butter. The reason? I visited an Egyptian restaurant for my second time only last week, and I had this as a side with my main meal, and it was heavenly! It said in the menu description that "foul" (like I said, there are many ways of spelling the name of it!) were slow-cooked fava beans (broad beans) with butter and garlic.

Foul Mudammes
(Serves 2, about 300 calories each)


2 tbsp olive oil
40 g (light) butter
4 tbsp tomato purée
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic (or more!) finely chopped
50-100 ml water
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Handful fresh coriander
1 can fava beans (about 200g drained)

- Heat up most of the oil and butter in a frying pan, add the chopped onion and garlic and soften for about 5 minutes before stirring in the tomato purée, water, and spices.

- Once it is all nicely blended and the flavours are coming together, tip in the broad beans, and turn down the temperature on medium low heat, and add the rest of the butter and oil, or even add a little more of each to taste if you want.

- After 5-7 minutes, when it is all softened and is cooking away, mash half of the beans with a masher. Stir in the coriander, stir a little, and it's ready!

Serve with flatbread, on top of a baked potato, with potato scones, farls, with rice, or do as I did - and try and make your own flatbread! Mine turned out like a cross between a potato scone and a pancake, hah!

PS. This dish can easily be made vegan if you just use a little extra oil instead of the butter, happy days!


PPS. Should you find yourself in Glasgow, and want something to eat, here is the restaurant I mentioned earlier on - Nur - lovely owners, delicious Egyptian cuisine!

www.nur-restaurant.co.uk

Original source:
http://www.food.com/recipe/fooll-mudammes-fava-bean-egyptian-breakfast-1601-1608-1604-1605-1583-1605-1587-18236

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment