Sunday 23 September 2012

Carrot Cake

It's that time of the year again. My b****day... tomorrow. I don't know why I don't like this day... It's not that I don't think it's nice to mark the day on which you were born, *insert years here* ago, on the contrary it's melancholic in that nice and fuzzy sort of way. Whenever it's any of my friends' birthday, I am really excited for them! To be honest, I think it's mainly because you get noticeable more attention on this day, especially compared to any other day of the year.
For this very reason, last year - I decided to think positive about it, and use it as an excuse to invite my friends over, knowing that the chances of them coming over if it was my b****day was sliiiightly bigger. Also, if I remember correctly, four cakes were made and even some muffins too! This year, I have decided to do the same. Due to overload of cake days later last time though, I have settled for three, and some Norwegian buns. I will post up three of the recipes in the days to come, and I'll start out now with one of my all time favourites, except from my mum's chocolate cake, this one is seco...no wait, her "yellow cake" is also epic, right I'll give all three of them a shared first! Here goes:

Carrot Cake
(10 large slices, about 350-400 calories each)
Tastes better the next day!


2 cups grated carrot
1 cups of sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup of sunflower oil
1 large cup flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon

- Turn the oven to 180°C

- Grate the carrots, and mix all the ingredients (yes, it is that simple!) and pour it into a medium sized spring cake tin, about 21-24cm in diameter.

- Place in the middle of the oven for about 40-50 minutes until risen and golden.

You make the frosting after the cake is done, as it needs time to cool anyway. I also put the actual frosting in the fridge for half an hour to let it set a little before actually topping the cake with it. To make the delicious topping you will need:

200 g soft cream cheese
1 large cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla sugar or 1-2 drops vanilla extract
1 tbsp butter

- Mix all the ingredients for the frosting together, and whisk it until you have a smooth cream-like mixture. Place in the fridge for half an hour/an hour so it is firmer and easier to spread over the cake.

Extra decoration is up to you, but to be honest, it's so tasty it doesn't need to be tarted up to look the part! Once the first slice is cut, the rest will follow, enjoy!

Original source:
Mamma!

-Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment